I've often thought I'm pretty eclectic in my musical tastes -- but lately I'm discovering about myself that I'm pretty predictable in what music I like; although it varies, it has very common threads. My dad, a straight up CLASSICAL music-lover, has often said his musical tastes are like a rifle shot: straight, single-focused, and deep -- instead of like buckshot. HA! Good analogy! I guess I have a bit of a 'buckshot' appreciation in comparison, but it doesn't spread too widely.
In general, I like smooth melodies, layered harmonies, good vocal quality, and lush arrangements. I like well-written lyrics and emotional delivery. I like several genres of music that combine these qualities.
I like a little bit of classical music: Andrea Boccelli, Josh Groban, some operas, some classical instrumentals. I like easy-listening instrumental music like Henry Mancini, Floyd Cramer, Kenny G, and the Jackie Gleason orchestra. From my childhood days I listened to and liked mellow, harmonious, smooth "old" country music: stuff like Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Slim Whitman, Sons of the Pioneers. I like old crooners like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole -- and their newer counterparts, (LOVE) Michael Buble' and Harry Connick, Jr.
Now Christmas music...that's a WHOLE 'nother thing! We have a million Christmas CDs, but my favorites are Ronnie Milsap, Carpenter's Christmas Portrait, Kenny G, and Mannheim Steamroller. Although we have so many CDs, and I do love bits and pieces of all them.
I like country music, but I find myself listening to the radio less and less, and buying CDs of my favorite artists, and listening to them more and more. Right now, I'm on a big Billy Currington kick: great delivery, well-written lyrics, romantic -- but some of his stuff is just shallow 'party' stuff, which gets old. I listen to the same favorites over and over, and skip the chaff. I also really like Brad Paisley. He's got to be my favorite songwriter. He's very talented in putting emotions and stories into words that you can totally relate to, they can crack you up or rip your heart out. His voice is good, but his songs are FABULOUS. I like Keith Urban, LeeRoy Parnell and Phil Vasser, with an occasional ballad by Trace Adkins. I also like Rascal Flatts and Little Big Town -- great harmonies!
My favorite female country artist is and has been for years, Martina McBride. There's no better voice out there, although sometimes I question her song choices (but they haven't hurt her in the marketplace! HA!) Carrie Underwood is obviously talented, her voice is SO powerful, but her delivery gets old to me. Maybe she'll become more emotional and expressive as she matures. I also like some of Jamie O'Neal and Celine Dion.
Listening to music is a huge part of my life. I have it on in the mornings as I get ready for the day, in my van to and from work, on my computer throughout the day at work, in the kitchen when I'm preparing meals, and if I'm home alone or if we're cleaning house, on the stereo in the living room, filling the house with energy and beautiful-ness!
One thing I love about Sundays is the DIFFERENT music...I love to get up and put on some soothing, beautiful, church-y music to get us up and going, and prepare for church. If I'm lucky enough to be the first one home and in the house, I close the entertainment center, and put on music again, which usually lasts at least until after dinner. In a house full of TV-lovers, that's pretty good!
There's something about the 'sounds of Sunday' that soothe the soul. Today we listened to my favorite MoTabs CD, "Love is Spoken Here." So beautiful, peaceful, thought-provoking, familiar...
We also listened to "Sunday Morning with Bach," a fairly recent addition to our musical collection. Quite enjoyable, and about as 'classical' as I like to get.
And another favorite (so much so that I can't find the case because it's always in the CD player), is "Moods of Nature - Ocean Breeze." We have several of these CDs, with different themes that include calming, quiet, smooth music with sounds of nature added in.
I also love to SING. I love to express my love of life, the gospel, Heavenly Father and my family through song. It brings me peace and joy to touch someone else's heart through music, or just to sing to myself for the sheer
fun of it! "The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him." (Psalms 28:7)




2 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! What a way with words. I am so touched that the "oldies" we loved so much around the house while you were growing up are still "goodies" to you. Me, too.!! I totally enjoyed your comments. I have to admit that my "daurghter" is smarter than me, too. and it doesn't hurt too much to say that.
Love ya and keep on lovin' the good stuff.
Mom
Yes, all your old favs, are mine too (i.e. Eagles, Bread, etc). And I LOVE to have the church-y stuff on on Sundays too...I just haven't had my music set up right in the main areas since we moved to our new home...that's changing SOON! I just spent two hours organizing my iTunes...including making a "Gospel" list and more importantly, making a "Gospel Favs" list! I'll be playing that each Sunday...and on my Christmas Favs list: Of course...Lynette Dove!!! No question about it!
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...