Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!


Tomorrow is my dad's 70th birthday. What a milestone! He  certainly does NOT seem 70 to me -- he's very young at heart, and one of the most optimistic people I know. I could go on and on about the wonderful things I love about my father, but I'll list just a few favorite things:

* My dad is a cowboy -- true blue, died in the wool, raised on a Wyoming ranch COWBOY! He'd still be there today if he had his choice. He loves the smell of sagebrush and tumbleweeds, and horses and cows, and looking in every direction and seeing nothing but land. I'm the furthest possible thing from a cowgirl, but I love that he is a cowboy.

* My dad is a musician -- a talented tenor, trumpet player, band teacher, guitarist, pianist, and even a whistler! He has inspired his kids to all participate in and appreciate music. He is responsible for this kid earning first chair clarinet in band, because he WOULD NOT let me settle for mediocrity when learning "Sleigh Bells" for my try out. He sat with me and made me go over and over and over and over the parts that hung me up, until I could play the song perfectly, and fast. As a freshman, I beat out a senior for first chair with that song, because of Dad.



* My dad has great appreciation -- he has always been grateful for the blessings we've been given as a family, and reminded each of us to express gratitude to each other and in general. He has always been so appreciative of my mother, and grateful for the blessing she has been in his life. I believe appreciation can be a learned trait, and I learned it well from my father.

He also appreciates fine music! I remember watching him lie on the carpet in front of our old stereo speakers, turn the opera music up, prop his glasses up on his brow, close his eyes, and just listen to the music -- eyebrows moving up and down with the emotion of the songs. Sometimes he'd conduct it, too, as it went along. And invariably, a tear would trickle down his cheek into his ear. He has no tolerance for mediocrity in music, and was often baffled by the kinds of music his kids chose to listen to. That led to some exciting moments (8-track tapes in the trash can, cassette tapes being confiscated...)


* My dad has a great sense of humor -- He could find the 'funny' in any situation...when I was a teenager, I may have had a bit of a messy room from time to time...okay, I did a lot of the time. My mom would tell me to go clean my room, I'd be in there for hours, I'd get nothing done but listening to music, reading a magazine, I'd get in trouble from mom, be in there longer. Dad would come in and look at my ceiling and say, "WOW! Look at that fabulous ceiling! I have never seen a more beautiful, clean ceiling than that! Look at it -- it's amazing!" I'd look up, puzzled, and agree with him. Then he'd say, "Now...how about this floor!?" And I'd laugh and clean my room...


* My dad loves his family. His goal is for all of us to be together forever. He loves serving in the church, in the temple, and doing genealogy. He loves to spend time with his wife, his kids, grandkids, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc. He's a family man through and through. My kids love and respect him, and enjoy being with him and partaking of his 'jocularity'. He's just fun to hang out with! (Although he doesn't like to eat out -- what's up with that!?) We all cherish our time to spend with him, and wish it could be more often.



*My dad loves my mom -- I have always known that. He made it obvious throughout my life by the way he treated her, talked to her, defended her, his chivalry in opening doors, pulling out chairs, and sincere, regular compliments on how beautiful she is, how delicious her cooking is, etc. And he would absolutely not allow us to disrespect her. We would get in much bigger trouble for that than we would for other things. I had somewhat of a 'smart mouth' in my teenage years (hard to believe), and if I used sarcasm or rudeness when talking to my mom, YIKES!


My parents just celebrated their "Golden Anniversary" this past August. We had a big week-long family reunion to recognize the occasion. It was wonderful to celebrate this huge achievement in their lives. They have a family that loves them and recognizes their profound influence in all of our lives.

Okay, enough. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I am very blessed to have been "born of goodly parents" and raised in a home full of love. My life is full and happy because of them.

I love you, Dad.

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

I bet my messy teenage room was messier than your messy teenage room....guaranteed!

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...