Monday, January 11, 2010

Amazing Grace

Yesterday I sang at a funeral for a man I don't remember meeting. I may have met him many years ago when he used to come to church, his photo looked a little familiar.

He was a veterinarian, and had lived a long, full life. It was a quiet graveside ceremony, held at the back of his property out an old country road. I didn't know what to expect in the way of attendance, but there were probably over 100 people there.

They came from all walks of life: other doctors, neighbors, his two kids and their friends, hunting buddies, preachers, community leaders, and LDS church leadership. There were farmers and neighbors there who probably used his services for their animals or pets. There were women in fur coats, men in overalls, long beards and cowboy hats...and lots of layers, boots and gloves for the 31 degree weather, where we could see our breath.

I always feel it a privilege and a blessing to sing at someone's last formal event on earth. There were tears and grieving hearts. Although I didn't know this man, I felt honored to try to bring the Spirit of comfort to the occasion. As I sang the requested song, "Amazing Grace" a capella, I felt a peace fall over this small, sad crowd. I felt peace.

I found myself, once again, grateful for the gift of music -- which crosses over the differences we all have, and brings us together with amazing grace.

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I lu-huv the hymn Amazing Grace! Why don't we have that in our hymn book? I am sure you sounded beautiful as always.

Mike and Aubrey Asay said...

This was a really neat post! How awesome to get to experience that insite and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I felt like I was there with you because of the feeling that you put into this post. I felt the sorrow, the cold, but most of all the peace that the spirit brings when the song "Amazing Grace" is sung. I would love to hear you sing it someday. Thanks for sharing your experience Lynette, you are so very gifted. Love Ya. Sherri

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...