Friday, January 29, 2010

Grammy-hood

I went into the world of Grammy-hood kicking and screaming, in total denial that I could possibly be old enough to have a CHILD old enough to have their own CHILD! It happens sort of subtly, like a covert operation planned to sneak up on you and scare the crap out of you. And while you're still catching your breath, it happens again...and then again and again!

This transition from being a "young"  parent -- even if only in your own mind because you still have relatively young kids at home -- happens quickly when you become a grandparent. You can no longer deny that you might have crossed over to the dark side of middle age...multiple times. It happens without you feeling any different physically, but realizing that if your kids are having kids, you must be old. And if you have FOUR grandchildren, you must be r-e-a-l-l-y old. And if the grandkids (all boys so far) weren't so doggone cute, you might hold it against them that the very fact that they are here makes you a GEEZER...IF they weren't so doggone cute!

I remember my mom saying, "If I'd known that grandkids were so fun, I would have had them first!" She had a point...

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

you might be a " grammy" but you make it hard to detect by your appearance. Could you just embrace a zip-up house coat to wear at church with some support hose and nurses shoes? The pressure I feel from you is too much and my kids aren't even married yet! Stop it!

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...