Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Olympic Memories

With the 2010 Olympic Mania currently in the air, it reminds me of one of my favorite life experiences. I was fortunate to be selected to work for 5 weeks in February '02, with the Salt Lake Olympic Committee/Events at the Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. My dear friend, Christine Parris was instrumental in getting me there from Tennessee, and we had such a great time together working and freezing our butts off, and making "once in a lifetime" memories.

(Christine and me with Olympic Mascots, Coal & Copper.)
Christine and I had great fun, as well as getting to know the Secret Service crew and National Guard at the gates, working with Al & Mary Matthys, and spending time with Marion Eldredge and Sacha Cook, and so many other volunteers on our team.
(Some of our team who worked EastGate.)
(Officer Bob with the crew -- Have I got a story to tell you about him!)

(With the SecretService Team from EastGate.)
(The Olympic SuperStore, where we could go spend lots of
money on anything we wanted, if we could get in the door...they
literally had to ration a few people at a time in the store for codes.)

(Some of the Team at the Final Night Party -- hosted by Steve Young,
entertainment by KC and the Sunshine Band -- uh-huh, uh-huh!
You either danced in the bleachers, or froze your feet off.)

I'm an avid scrapbooker, and this is one book that just HAD to be made. I had to pull these photos off of scrapbook pages, so they're not great quality, but they represent some of the fun we had 8 years ago -- hard to believe it's been that long! What a remarkable experience for me -- one I will never forget!

1 comment:

Stacey H said...

*sigh*! We were at BYU in '02 and I was too terrorist-scared to stick around for the Olympics. Wish we had! We did spend a fun week off of school in CA though!

Loved hearing about your experience!

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...