Saturday, September 17, 2011

I Can Totally Relate to SJP

Last night, Steve and the boys were gone on a multi-ward Father & Sons campout out in Williamsport, TN. They had a great time, and I must admit, so did I, with some unscheduled time to myself!

I left work, came home and ate a healthy turkey wrap so I could save my carbs for (irresistable) THEATER POPCORN at the movies! I went to see "I Don't Know HOW She Does It!"  Sarah Jessica Parker's new movie. I hadn't really heard anything about it, but I like some of her movies, so I figured I'd give it a try. I got my discount bucket filled with buttered popcorn, a large diet Coke and settled in for what I was hoping would be a mindless, fun, enjoyable movie.


I was surprised to see that the movie was all about WORKING MOMS! I found myself relating to her hectic, frazzled, guilt-ridden, over-scheduled life far more than I would like. I was laughing and crying along with her as she faced the challenges of balancing her life. I could totally understand her position, in a way that ONLY working moms can. Thoughts of my own struggles and challenges through the years flooded my mind during some of her scenes, as I quietly wiped away some tears.

My top ten take-aways from this movie:

10. It's important to build snowmen.
9. When you're a size "0", you tend to make yourself un-relatable to most of us working moms.
8. Baking a pie, and making a storebought pie look like it's homemade -- are the same thing.
7. The house can be a mess, and that's OKAY.
6. Fix the carpet as soon as it starts to pucker up.
5. Co-workers can be jerks; the nice guy generally finishes last -- but not always.
6. You can BOWL in a dress.
5. Some non-working moms can make working moms feel like CRAP.
4. A good babysitter/nanny is harder to replace than a good husband (HAHA).
3. When 'working' is part of your life (by preference or not), the expectations on you are just higher.
2. Just because you're a working woman, does NOT mean you have affairs with co-workers, or your boss -- even if he looks like this:


1. And my number ONE takeaway: If you have a fabulous partner in your hectic life, although you can't control everything and can become totally overwhelmed at times, you can enjoy love, laughter, family... and work.

I don't know how this movie will do at the box office (and of course they threw in just a touch of stuff they could have done without), but I found it totally an ANTHEM for working women everywhere! Thank you, SJP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...