Monday, September 5, 2011

Sundays

I am having a newfound love of the Sabbath day. I would like to say it's because I'm so spiritual, and have had a re-awakening of all things righteous. However, I must be honest and say it's more because of my utterly exhausting life during the week, and now with the 9am church schedule...we're back to SUNDAY AFTERNOON NAPS!Woo-hooooo!

Last week I substitute taught in our ward's Relief Society class (I LOVE teaching RS!), and the lesson was taken from Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk in the April 2011 conference on "Desire." I know I was asked to teach this lesson for a purpose. The point of his talk was that when we define our DESIRES, they lead to our PRIORITIES, which lead to our CHOICES, which lead to our ACTIONS; and actions lead us to BECOME whatever it is we become. It all starts with defining our desires.

I pondered this message during my lesson preparation, as well as this past week since giving the lesson. In so many ways, I feel very blessed. I have such a wonderful family, a great job, a great part-time job, good health, and just so many things to be thankful for. I function best at a fast pace, but have also found that I can't keep that pace up without re-fueling breaks. I need some down-time, and although sometimes I feel like I don't even know what to do with myself in down-time, I must have it. Even if it's just sleeping in, folding laundry that's behind, getting a quiet, relaxing pedicure, taking time to cook a really good meal, not having a to-do list, watching a movie with the family, or forcing myself to just sit down and b-r-e-a-t-h-e in slowly and just "be" for a few minutes.

Those things seem basic, but get pushed aside sometimes in the RUSH of my life. And those are some of the things that help me re-center, and force that quiet time, stop the hectic life going on my brain -- and help me think of my DESIRES, PRIORITIES, etc. I have so much left in my life I DESIRE to BECOME, and I'm working to get better at slowing myself down to remember those things, focus on them, and work toward them.

As Sam reminded me last Sunday, he hadn't "dominated me" in a board game for awhile...so we took time to play "Book of Mormon Battles," which, unfortunately, gave him that much anticipated opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...