We went to see a play in Salt Lake City called, "Don't Forget to Remember Me." I had been at work all day, and had quickly rushed home and changed. We went with some other couples (Terry Bishop & Susan Chipman, my sister Corinne & Paul Bishop - Terry's brother, and I think a couple of other couples).
At the play, I was doing the standard fare...asking questions to try to get to know Mr. Harris a little better. So I leaned over during the play and asked something like, "So...I hear you went to Peru on your mission! I'm sure that was a great experience!" He nodded his head, didn't take his eyes off the stage, and "shhhhh'd" me! I was dumbfounded! I had been shhhhh'd on a first date! Hmmph!
So, I waited a little while, and then leaned over and asked him something like, "So...I hear you're going to BYU?" Mr. Harris actually had the gall to nod and SHHHHHH me again! Yes, 'tis true! Well, this little lady doesn't need to be hit over the head to get the point! I was tired, a bit bored, and not feeling too much like being patient with this fine young man. So I basically sat there silent, until the play was over. I don't remember much about it, but I was ready to go home afterward.
But WAIT, not so fast! We then went to dinner with the group at the old Salt City Jail...I do remember enjoying the meal, and he came out of his very quiet, backward shell a little bit at dinner. (He says he was totally talkative and cutting up -- that his friends commented how "outgoing" he was that night -- HA!) Well, he may have redeemed himself just a bit, but I was basically still unimpressed. I had no intention of ever going out with him again. In fact, I turned him down the next week when he called me.
![]() |
| July 24, 1981 |

3 comments:
leaving the reader hanging? Great hook BUT I want to know the rest of the story NOW!
Me, too, Lynnette! I didn't like my husband on the first date either. Unlike you with your precious Steve, I should have listened to my first prompting! Cute story and did sweet ole Steve really DO that? It's the little things that mean a lot, huh!
HA! Thanks for your comments, Rebecca and Nancy. And yes, Steve really did do that. I have never let him live it down. But I must say, on our second date, he redeemed himself BIG TIME by taking me up Midway canyon to a cabin with our friends Terry & Susan. The guys grilled steaks, fixed the entire meal, cleaned up, we looked out over the beautiful scenery, and it was so beautiful! And then we watched videos. I tell him it must have been the romantic SETTING that won my heart, and not him (haha). But alas, one-on-one he's really kind of a nice guy. I just wouldn't recommend going to a play with him. HAHA!!
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...