Thursday, February 16, 2012

Brother Joseph

I'm substitute teaching in Relief Society this Sunday, and the lesson is entitled, "The Prophet Joseph Smith, God's Instrument in Restoring the Church."

The lesson is short and beautiful, and I was also reading in some supplemental materials just to fill my mind with as much information as possible about the Prophet, Joseph. One of my favorite books is called "Joseph Smith: Impressions of a Prophet," which is a collection of artwork by Liz Lemon Swindle, and text by Susan Easton Black. We got the book when we chaperoned the Youth trip to Nauvoo, Illinois back in 1999. The artwork is 'real' and depicts the prophet in ways different from most of the formal portraits you see of him. The spirit of the book and the love these two contributors have for the prophet is apparent.


Reading this lesson reminded me how so much "light" came through Joseph Smith. It was through him that temple building, the eternity of the marriage covenant and the salvation of the dead were revealed.

I am always touched by reading about Joseph Smith, and I need to spend more time doing that, and learning from his teachings. I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to give this lesson. I am so grateful for all he did for the restoration of the gospel - and for me.

I have a friend at work who was visiting Idaho on business last week and drove past the new Boise temple, still under construction, but nearing completion. She asked me lots of questions yesterday after returning; we've discussed the church on many occasions in the past. She told me she got on-line in her hotel room to do some research after driving by the temple to try to learn more about the 'peculiar ceremonies' performed in the Mormon temples. She actually learned a lot of truth (mixed in with a little yuk)! She asked me if my marriage had been sealed in one of our temples, and I was pleased to tell her "yes."  She asked me if Chris' marriage had been sealed in a temple, and when I told her "yes," and it was the temple in Franklin, she was surprised and excited to know there was one nearby! She lives in Brentwood now, and said she'd have to drive by there soon so she could see a temple close-up.

It was great to have this opportunity to talk with her about the Church, the purpose of temples and our belief in eternal families. I referred her to "Mormon.org" in the future instead of just Googling the church. :o)  I love living in Tennessee, where I regularly have chances to share my beliefs.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

I told Mom that I thought she would have done an awesome job, as well, teaching that week's lesson. Those are beautiful pictures of him and his family. Are they in the church library? I am sure you did absolutely WONDERFUL teaching that class. Would have loved to have heard you do it! Very spiritual day, indeed. (We also got a new Bishopric that day)

Lynette said...

Those are from the book I mention...so pretty, and give such a warm, human glimpse into Joseph Smith's life. Brings him to a more personal level. The lesson went well, I ended it with the song "As a Lamb to the Slaughter" on the Nashville Tribute to JOSEPH cd. It was perfect!

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...