Sunday, February 26, 2012

Defending RS in 1920

I just completed my Unit 2 test in History II, which covered the United States reconstruction era, Women's Rights and World War I. The test was hairy, and I was so pleased to get a 97% "A"! But I was a little disturbed to see the reason I was docked a point on an essay question that asked my religion, political position, gender, and other areas, and what my reaction would be to a bunch of things including law, politics, women's movement, etc. in 1920.  I listed that I was a Mormon woman, conservative, active in the women's movement, etc.

My professor found that contradictive, because:
The only innaccuracy is that you stated you were for women's rights and were also a Mormon. In the early 20th century, the Mormon church was actually very restrictive against women. Only recently has it become more progressive.

So tonight I sent my professor a private e-mail -- just as a matter of information -- basically defending my position that the church was certainly NOT restrictive to women, and offered many opportunities even in the early years through the women’s Relief Society. Here’s the bulk of my e-mail:

"In 1842, the church formed its first auxiliary organization, an official women’s group called the Relief Society, which although under the general direction of the male leaders of the church, was primarily led and run by the women of the church.  This society brought women into the formal structure of the Church and gave them significant responsibility and authority. They continued to minister to the needs of others, and now had an organized vehicle in which to learn, lead, serve and grow within the church and in their communities. They were active in politics, war relief efforts, and moral reform movements. Some Relief Society groups served as Red Cross units in World War I. They had co-op enterprises raising grain and silk, which helped finance the medical training of midwives and female doctors. They actively campaigned for women’s suffrage in affiliation with the NWSA. At the close of World War I, the U.S. government purchased over 205,000 bushels of grain from the Relief Society’s grain storage to supplement the government’s welfare programs. I could go on and on…
The Relief Society is now the oldest and largest women’s organization in the world, with an estimated 5 million+ members in over 175 countries. The Church, and the Relief Society have always encouraged education, leadership, compassionate service and personal development in every area of life for women. Male church leaders back to Joseph Smith have sung the praises of female members, and greatly valued their contributions in the home, family, church and community."
_________________________________________________________________________________
I’m certainly not complaining about my grade – I'm relieved, actually! But I wanted to make sure my professor understood my views on the early Church and womanhood. I'm sure it was waaaay more than he ever wanted to know, and I hope he receives my comments in the spirit they were given.

If not, my grades are doomed as we approach the upcoming Unit on the “roaring twenties!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...