I have two favorite cassette tapes, yes, I said "cassette tapes" -- for you v-e-r-y young folks reading this, these were the old reel-to-reel tapes that you listened to one side, then turned it over and listened to the other side. And they were considered small and compact, and soooo much cooler than the big bulky 8-track tapes of the prior day, but that's another story altogether. They were, to us old folks, like your CDs and iPods and iTunes and 'music on your phone' are to you today.
Anyway, several years ago, my mom made these cassettes from a variety of old instrumental albums she used to play all the time when I was young and lived at home. I had mentioned to her I couldn't find tapes or CDs containing all that instrumental music that I had loved for so many years. She painstakingly played and recorded "real time," mind you (no push a button and it's done), all these songs for me onto these cassettes so I could have them. I can hear the crackle of the needle circling the album, and even a couple of places where the music sounds a little warped from an old record that's been played over and over and over again.
There are great easy listening and country songs on there by Henry Mancini, 101 Strings, the Billy Vaughn Orchestra and others. I love to play them mostly on a quiet Sunday afternoon, or when I'm trying to bring a feeling of calm to the air. They have wide variety in style and content. The songs themselves, while they bring much enjoyment to me, are probably not the most beautiful or extraordinary songs or arrangements. But I love them. I can sing or hum along with every note. They bring me a sense of history, family, tradition, youth, peace and warm memories. It's sort of like going home.
They are like comfort food to my soul. Thanks again, Mom.

3 comments:
Tell Steve his cross stitch turned out great...as always. :) I am sure Sam's teacher appreciates it.
I once asked Carly if she had to live without music or books, she lamented and said that was totally a unfair question... I knew instantly I had to have music. I have the same kind of music memories of growing up and there is no way to describe what it does to my soul to remember a time long ago when I hear a song. I can travel to all areas of my life with music.
Hey you sweet "Thang", you,
I am IMPRESSED!!!.. I knew you really liked the songs because you asked me to record them
for you, but I am so glad that they mean this much to you. It's great!!!
I still love to listen to them, too, and I do.
Love ya much,
Mom
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...