Monday, February 10, 2014

Slanted View

I wanted to try a new recipe Saturday night. It sounded good, I had all the ingredients, it uses one of my favorite things (Diet Dr. Pepper), and I'm still in my temporary state of eating less healthy than my new years resolutions require. [Yes, that phase is quickly coming to an end, but that's another blog post...]



So, I made this delicious recipe:

Diet Dr. Pepper Cake
1 box yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 box of instant vanilla pudding (or 4 packets MF vanilla pudding, which is what I used)
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can Diet Dr. Pepper (DDP)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Mix liquids together, then add dry stuff. Blend with beaters until smooth. Add nuts, stir.
Bake for 40 min. at 350. Cool. Top with cream cheese frosting, or make this Glaze: 1 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, enough DDP to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over cake.

So I baked it, it turned out fabulous, EXCEPT it came out of the oven looking SLANTED like this: (!)



WHO KNEW my oven had a slant? When did that happen?

Later, when Sam saw the cake and I told him something was 'with' the oven he opened and looked in. He grabbed my phone, and took this photo:


And said, "Hey, mom. I found the big problem with your oven..."

Okay, I don't want to hear it! I was putting the cake in the oven (and taking it out) from the side, not looking directly into the oven, not seeing the rack in full view, blazing heat hitting me in the face...I didn't notice, okay? And I didn't take the time to look in there afterward, either, okay?!

It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't posted the cake photo on Facebook, then I had to post the stove photo and take all the brutal comments about me being a dumb blonde or something. Sheesh.

It's a moist, dense cake that has those yummy walnuts which make it even fabulous-er. So I frosted what was left of it this morning, sliced it into small pieces, and took it to work. They loved it and it disappeared! Like I said, it is a delicious recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...