Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fun in the Garage

I was so excited that today I had NOTHING on my agenda except sleeping in, getting Sam's hair cut, and taking Grayson to a job interview...that's an 'unheard of' kind of day! Well, my early morning 'sleeping in' plans were briefly interrupted when the guy showed up to look at our non-working A/C unit. But I heard Steve let him in...and I rolled back over for a few more zzz's.

Then when I got up about an hour later, I found that our day had been planned for us! When Steve went down into the garage to get a ladder for the A/C guy, he found that our water heater had sprung a leak overnight and FLOODED THE GARAGE! For those of you who have not had the lovely privilege of visiting this ridiculously stuffed apendage to our home, it looked something like the above photo BEFORE the FLOOD (I have never actually taken a photo of our mess, so this is someone else's). And now that ours had about 3 inches of water, it was an even huuuuuger mess, which included damage to many boxes and belongings.

Steve and the boys had been working to clean it up for awhile before I got up and tried to get in the shower, which is when I realized what was going on. I must admit that my contribution to the clean-up was very minor, but taking care of this situation demanded most of our day. Steve got water heater parts, I got Sam in to get his hair cut, and took Grayson to the job interview at Publix -- which didn't end up happening, because the guy ended up being out today. We went through ad re-organized a BUNCH of boxes and crates, and stacks and shelves. And we made trips to Good Will and to the DUMP. It's still not cleaned out enough to park my van in there (that's MY next goal), but it looks soooo much better than it did!

One of the boxes that was damaged caused me great sadness, until I realized most of the stuff was not ruined. It was a box of my 'SINGING STUFF' from my early days in Nashville. Gratefully, after we dried out the boxes on the reel-to-reel recordings and a few other things, I think we'll be okay. We'll probably never get into a studio that will have that ancient recording equipment, anyway, to transfer thost tracks. But I like knowing I have those pieces of my history. (See next post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...