Saturday, June 30, 2012

Crystal Ball















I wish I had a crystal ball
To know what my future holds
I wish I could ask it questions
That would be answered plain and bold.

I wish that it would tell me
What decisions I should make -
What should I walk away from?
What opportunities should I take?


I wish that it would show me
The results of my choices there
So I could see how they turned out
From the convenience of my chair.

Then I wouldn't have to worry
If what I'm doing's wright or wrong
I wouldn't have to wonder
I could just 'turn the crystal ball on.'

I could see what roads were good ones
And what ones would bring me grief
I could see which is the right way -
What a huge relief!

It's kind of like a movie
I could just watch how it ends
And then make choices accordingly
And never worry again.

I'd also like a magic wand
Like bibbity-bobbity-boo!
I'd point in every direction
To make my wishes come true.

Wouldn't it be great if we
Could have these magic tools
To help us see behind the scenes
And make choices by those rules?

I'd love it! Let me tell you!
I'd never make a mistake!
I'd never do what I shouldn't have
And feel my poor heart break.

I'd never make a bad choice
Or take the darkened path
Thinking I could light it
Finding out too late I can't.

I would know because I saw it,
Exactly what I should do.
My choices would be GREAT ones
My mistakes would be so few!

But alas, those things of magic
Aren't part of the plan
I hate that I have to make choices
Just doing the best I can.

I fear I'll go the wrong way
And I fear I'll bruise my heart
Because even tho I'm trying
It's hard to be so smart...

That you never choose the wrong road
Or get on a twisted path
And have to make a u-turn
To get yourself back on track.

So I'll just keep making choices
With no wand or crystal ball
And keep praying that God in Heaven
Is still in charge of it all.

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

My crystal ball has been broken for years, as evidenced by how many mistakes I have made BUT I sometimes think even if we saw exactly what to do we could still rationalize taking a different path. Oh, wait, doesn't this already happen?

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...