Sam's LAST BAND CONCERT EVER was held last Thursday, April 26th. He enjoyed band in 5th grade, but he wanted to drop out in 6th grade; I basically forced him to do it "one more year" in hopes that he would grow to love it like I did! But alas, although his teachers, Mr. Garey and Mrs. Grooms say he has natural talent -- he absolutely DOES NOT want to continue in band. So I must stay true to my word and not make him keep doing it after this year. But he is still taking piano lessons, so I'm not quite heartbroken.
He and his barritone buddy, Emma Messer, were rockin' the house, but I couldn't get him to look at me and give me a good smile to SAVE HIS LIFE! So finally I just snapped whatever pictures I could get.
The final concert of the year, and of his life (sniff!), got off to a great start, the music sounded awesome, but about half way through, the PRINCIPAL stopped the music and had everyone move to the hallways, because our area was under a TORNADO WARNING (not just a "Watch," which means conditions exist that a tornado COULD come, but a "WARNING," which means there have been tornados spotted in our area).
So after about 20 minutes in the hallway, we were all able to go back into the gym and finish the concert. The final number played by the 6th graders was "Old Time Rock 'N Roll," for your enjoyment, please CLICK HERE TO SEE IT ...love the 'goofy' clapping, and watch at the end how Sam takes a bow as if all the applause is JUST for HIM...and then if you watch *quick* he and Emma do "Tebow's" like the famous Denver Broncos football player (yeah, you had to be there...)
After the concert Sam actually smiled for a couple of photos with Saxophone buddy, Jaxon Kartchner (son of Randy & Susie). He was so glad it was over, it was easier to smile for the camera now, I guess.
After the concert, we heard on the news that a tornado had touched down about TWO BLOCKS from the school, at Jim Warren Park! It had overturned some vehicles, and done some damage to the playground there...gratefully, it was night so there weren't many people in the park. There were a mom and young son in one of the cars who were injured, but not seriously hurt. Those things are SOOOO SCARY! I'm glad we were in a big group, and "safe" inside the halls of the school! Steve (who was at the church with Grayson for youth) and others were texting me, worried, because it was all over the news that it was right by where we were! But I wasn't checking my phone, I was listening to my son play barritone for the last time!
WAY TO GO OUT OF BAND WITH A BANG, SAM!



3 comments:
We clicked on the video and it said, "sorry, this video is private". Is there any way we can watch it?
Loudene
It should work fine now, made an adjustment. Try again!
Sam, are you camera shy? Good goin', you handsome young man.
Loudene
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...