I had an epiphany last week.
I was recommended by my boss for a project at work that would be a high profile opportunity, working with company leaders in facilitating annual client interviews to determine contract performance. It would entail traveling a few times for training, and then 6+ times during the year for the actual interviews.
I think I would enjoy it. I think I could be good at it. I felt good that my boss and his boss recommended me! So, even though I have NO operations experience, and figured I'd be dropped from the list in the first round of screening, I filled out the application -- and lo and behold, passed through the first screening process to the 2nd tier of interviews. Next came a 1 1/2 day training in St. Louis, and then on to the next level of screening.
When I considered the St. Louis training, I took a deep breath and wondered what in the HECK I was doing adding more to my crazy schedule? All this for no extra compensation?! Was this necessary for my stability in my position? Was this opportunity really in line with my Marketing goals within the company? Even if they were paying me more, how could I possibly fit in more travel, more time away from my family and home -- not to mention my school schedule? AND...why would I try?
After discussion with Steve, my boss, and a good friend, I decided that I would pass on the opportunity. I don't normally pass on opportunities, and wondered if my heart would stop and the world would grind to a halt on its axis when I did!
I wrote the declining e-mail, took a deep breath...and pushed "SEND."
And I waited...for a response...expecting...to be chastised, or ridiculed, or worse...persuaded.
A brief e-mail in response said, "No worries, I totally understand. Thanks for your support and interest to this point!"
That's it! My heart did not stop, my head did not explode, the world still revolves today!
My EPIPHANY: It really is possible to just say, "NO!"
No comments:
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...