Sunday, June 13, 2010

CMA MusicFest (Now--and Then)


Well, for the first time in many years, I actually attended CMA MusicFest (formerly known as Fan Fair). It was about 150 degrees outside, and I thought my face would MELT OFF, but other than that, it was a great time! I was with a group of friends, we enjoyed dinner first, and then headed to LP Field and stood and rocked out with all the groups that night. What a lineup!!

Jamie O'Neal (National Anthem - she's GREAT!)
Easton Corbin (A newcomer, but I like him!)
Billy Currington (or Crankton, as we call him) -- He ROCKS!
Zac Brown Band (okay)
MARTINA McBRIDE (need I say more!?)
Rascal Flatts (they are the best group out right now)

Briana Lutes, Me, Gina Rose
  
"CMA MUSIC FEST 2010"
Gina's Mom, Annette, made us these vests, and we wore them long enough for
the photo op, and to rock to a couple of Billy Currington Songs...then
they were off! It was TOO HOT!
(Annette, Sam, Rita, Briana, Me, Katie, Gina, Tandi)

There are better photos available on-line, but since I took these with my own camera, and I was THERE, and I was in the spirit of the moment, I have to post these instead...

Easton Corbin                            Billy Currington

Zac Brown Band                                     Rascal Flatts

Martina McBride!!

And now...for a trip back in the TIME MACHINE to when we first moved to Nashville, and I was a rabid music fan, music wannabe, and Fan Fair attendee. I went and sweated it out with all of the country music fans from morning to night, and enjoyed every minute in 1988, 1989 and 1990.

In fact, in 1990, I was working for the local paper, The Williamson Leader, so I got a Media Pass where I got to go backstage to interview some of the nicer stars who would actually stop to talk to a small local reporter who really couldn't do anything for their career. My favorite was VINCE GILL, who was very nice, and very handsome! And my article about Fan Fair (and this photo) were actually featured in the paper!

Backstage with Vince Gill -- Fan  Fair 1990

I don't have an actual photo of one particular artist I heard that year, but he sang a song called "Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old." He was a newcomer; I thought he was okay, but personally didn't think he'd go anywhere in the business. His name was Garth Brooks. Ever heard of him...?

Anyway, here are some more photos from Fan Fair.  If you weren't a country music fan in the late 1980's you won't recognize any of these names, but you can laugh at the SCARY HAIR!

Kathy Mattea -- I met her at Fan Fair 1989, but this photo was actually taken
after one of her concerts at the Grand Ole' Opry in July, 1988.

Mason Dixon -- Fan Fair 1989

Dave & Sugar - Fan Fair 1989

Desert Rose Band - Fan Fair 1989

Now, this next photo isn't from Fan Fair, and will appear again down the road in an entire post dedicated to a fun night we had in 1988 when we first moved here. But in the meantime, let me tell you that I won tickets on the radio to a United Way benefit at the Opryland Hotel hosted by Reba McEntire.

We all had to dress up like the 1920's (Steve and I rented costumes), and there were all kinds of activities planned, and it was such a fun night for us! And after Reba's show, I (literally) dragged Steve backstage, and we SNUCK back past the gate while Steve was freaking out, and paranoidly watching for the guards and whisper-yelling at me to "hurry!" I snagged Reba as she was leaving the dressing room, and she was kind enough to pose with me for this photo. I'm sure they upped their security after that!

Me & Reba  in 1988 -- 1920's Style!
(Yes, we do have poodle perms, and yes,
she does have on hair extensions with her costume.)

Someday I'll post many, many more music memories, so I can document them somewhere. In the past 22 years since we moved to Nashville, we've certainly made a few! But for now, my CMA MusicFest/Fan Fair experience last night reminded me of these...so until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...