Saturday, September 7, 2013

Washington D.C.

In August, my new co-worker (social media specialist) Jaime Starkey and I hosted the Corizon booth at the American Correctional Association convention in Washington, D.C. at the beautiful Gaylord National Convention Center.
 
 
Jaime Starkey, Me and Mike Viers (BD Director) at the ACA Corizon booth (showing our new Facebook page on the laptop)
BLURRY Jaime and I at the booth.
It was my first time in our nation's capitol, and it was awesome to see all the sights that I've only seen in photos and on TV. However, my camera died early on in our tour, so most of the photos you see here were taken by Jaime. HOWEVER, these first few are mine...the Capitol Building, the White House, and the view from the 18th floor of our hotel on National Harbor and some of the sights around our hotel...
 
Capitol Building, taken while standing on the front steps

White House -- they were doing some work, so you see the truck and crew there -- but it's the White House just the same!


National Harbor - This was taken from the 18th floor of the Gaylord Convention Center, from a reception I was attending.

Another shot from the 18th floor...

Jaime, JT Scalise (new BD Director) and I had lunch down on the pier at a nice Mexican restaurant. These are some of the sights from around there.
 
 

 
This huge sculpture wouldn't fit in one shot...it's called "The Awakening..."
 
 
 
 
 
 
We went on a guided night tour of the monuments, and these are some great shots Jaime got on that tour. Our tour guide was AMAZING and gave us lots of detail and information we never would have gotten if we'd gone on our own.
This is a great shot she got of the Capitol Building
Lincoln Memorial -- the Lincoln statue was much larger than I expected!
View of the Washington Monument  (currently scaffolded) from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial

World War II Memorial -- this was beautiful!
The Korean War Memorial is a relatively new memorial, and the just-barely-bigger than life statues are
made out of sort of a see-through aluminum that makes them look sort of "ghostly." Our guide told us that all
segments of the armed services are represented, but they are all working as one team, so they're intentionally
wearing these tarp things to represent coverage in the weather, but also to cover their uniforms. The only way
you can tell which branch of the service they are in is on some their hats and shoes. This was a very eerie
 monument. The wall had hundreds and hundreds of faces of those who were part of the war.
It was amazingly detailed in granite!
Viet Nam Memorial

The sheer length of the wall and the number of names on it, just more and more -- it was powerful.

 
We also saw the Nurses Monument, the World War I Memorial, and some others, but I don't have photos of those.
 
This was really a fun trip, and brought out the patriotic, historic tourist in me. I learned a lot, and had a great time! (Oh, and I worked at the convention, too. :o)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...