Saturday, March 31, 2012
Gen. Conference - Day 1
Today was the beginning of "Conference Weekend." Our kids are on spring break, so we had NO soccer games that frequently conflict with this first day's broadcasts so we actually got to watch them both live, instead of after-the-fact.
It was a great day of inspiration and motivation! It's so wonderful to be reminded of things we know, but need to hear frequently. Today, especially, I needed to hear these reassuring words. I want to share a few quotes that were meaningful to me (may not be exactly ver batim, but I was writing as fast as I could :o).
"Our Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us and our needs." President Thomas S. Monson
"We learn far more about what matters from our children than we ever did from our parents." Boyd K. Packer
"Family time is sacred time, and should be respected and protected." Boyd K. Packer
"Children can be part of the solution to our family challenges." Cheryl Esplin
"The 'gospel' and the 'church' are not the same thing, but are exquisitely intertwined." Donald L. Halverson
"It is when we yield to His spirit and live His pattern that our lives are blessed." Paul E. Koelicker
"The feeling of love from Heavenly Father is like a gravitational pull from heaven." Paul E. Koelicker
"We are not expected nor able to devote our entire lives to discipleship...but should look at sacrifice of our time & means as part of our schooling for salvation." Dallin H. Oaks
"We are never alone or unloved in the service of God." Henry B. Eyring
"Be kind. Be grateful God is kind. It is a happy way to live." Jeffrey R. Holland
"Don't hyperventilate about what happened at 9am, when the Lord is trying to reward you at 6pm." Jeffrey R. Holland
"It is not possible to sink lower than the infinite light of God's love shines." Jeffrey R. Holland
"Parents and leaders should help youth understand the atonement...the sacrament gives us the opportunity to 'come to ourselves' as we renew our covenants and renew our faith." Robert D. Hales
"You cannot change the past, but you can shape the future." David S. Baxter
"What we are speaks so loudly our children may not hear what we say." Quentin L. Cook
"Praying with our children may be more powerful than any other example." Quentin L. Cook
"If we are tone deaf to the 'music of faith,' we will be out of tune with the Spirit." Quentin L. Cook
"Truth consistently lived opens the door to inspiration." Richard G. Scott
I was sad to see Sister Julie B. Beck, General RS President, and her presidency released. I have developed a great love and respect for these sisters! I'm so glad I got to meet Sister Allred earlier this month when she was in Tennessee. But I know Sister Linda Burton and her new presidency will be awesome, too, and will be great leader/mentors to our world-wide Relief Society organization!
All three of my BOYS are at the Priesthood session as we speak. I can't believe Sam will be twelve and a deacon in May; he's been going to the Priesthood session the past few times. Grayson will soon be a missionary, like those who sang today in the MTC Missionary Choir. All of these "time flies" things are truly blowing my mind...
Can't wait until tomorrow's sessions!

1 comment:
Hang on tight.
Loudene
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...