A couple of weeks ago, I attended "Time Out For Women" in Nashville, a women's conference sort of event, sponsored by Deseret Book. I have been several times in the past, and always enjoy these cup-filling days. I love sitting and relaxing, watching the program unfold, listening to the speakers, feeling the Spirit, laughing one minute and crying the next. By the end of the day I'm feeling inspired, motivated, blessed, touched, and ready to go out there and try harder to be a better person.
And I especially love the music, particularly when Hilary Weeks performs. She's my favorite LDS artist; she writes great lyrics, and most of her songs are in my key! I have a couple of books of her sheet music, they're some of my favorites to sing, and if I ever get to record my spiritual album, there will be some of her songs on there. She's also entertaining to listen to -- I know it's a very rehearsed presentation, and she does it at TOFW's all over the country, but she's got lots of fun stories about her life as a mom, a singer, a RS sister, etc. I ike to go to her blog (see link at the right) and keep up with some of her goings-on. But I'd really love to see her PERSONAL blog, not the one that's written for the masses. I'll bet that one is hilarious!
There were many very tender moments in this year's event, but I don't know of anything more touching than the story of Mariama Kallon, a woman who escaped war-torn Sierra Leone Africa after living through such horrors of war that they were difficult just to listen to. She is such an example of courage, commitment and strength. She received a humanitarian aid kit from the church, and saved the little tag -- eventually she sought out the church that had 'saved her life' and she came to the United States. She is so humble, so grateful for the gospel, so happy to have 'escaped her life,' yet sad for her loved ones left behind.
One story she told: when she served her mission on temple square, she was running to the temple gate to meet an appointment there. She passed her mission president as she ran, and told him she couldn't stop, she had an appointment. A man met her at the gate, they talked for some time, and he and his family eventually joined the church. When her president later asked her how she originally met the man, she said she prayed to teach another 'black' person so she could feel a little more at home (because she so rarely saw them in Salt Lake City). She got up from her prayer and ran to the gate, so she could meet the person. The mission president asked her how long she had to wait, and she said about 5 minutes. Wow, what faith!
![]() |
| Randi with Mariama Kallon |
Another speaker who really touched my heart was Emily Freeman, an LDS author. She comes across as just a regular mom and woman in the church, but what a powerful testimony! She told some amazing stories of how everyday faith and obedience can work miracles. She and her husband decided one year to frame pictures of the disciples of Christ and put them in their kids' rooms. So they let the kids choose their favorite scripture story of a disciple, and they found those pictures, put a white mat around them with the kids own handwriting saying "I am a disciple of Christ." One son chose Peter, walking on the water. But he didn't want the picture to be of when he was walking on the water, but instead when his faith faltered, and he fell into the water, and Christ rescued him. She searched and searched for that picture, and finally on Christmas Eve was able to find it. It hung in his room until he left on his mission to Croatia.
Through a very long, detailed, perilous journey to Croatia ALONE, he finally made it -- and at his first zone conference, his mission president introduced him to the group, and said that when he finally made it off that plane, and walked through the gate, he somehow reminded him of the apostle Peter as he walked toward him. (The mission president knew nothing of the picture story.)
Other standout thoughts were by Merrilee Boyack, a very energetic presenter, a cancer survivor, wife, mother and attorney. She gave many examples of strong women who have made a difference in the world, includng one little 9-year old AIDS victim in Africa, Carol Zulu, who's positive spirit and outlook touched many during her very short life.
Another was a singer, Macy Robinson, who did a cabaret-type performance of acting, singing, speaking, using props, etc. She has overcome some very challenging things in her life, had a very pretty Broadway-type singing voice; she gave a great presentation. One of the songs she sang contained this line: "It's the storm, not you, that's bound to blow away." I loved that line...
![]() |
| Me & my buddy, Janice |
I went with a group of women from the Carnton Ward: Cathy Wheeler (and her sister Lisa Main) , Rebecca Jacobs, Janice Long, Paula Seegmiller (and her sister), and Laura and Cathy Kennelly.
![]() |
| Keri Reed & Randi |
We met Randi and Keri Reed there, and we all enjoyed lunch at Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville." We thought it was pretty funny that all these Mormon women were taking a break from the conference to have lunch in Margaritaville! Ha!
And...glad to get home from my 'Time Out' to be with my boys...











1 comment:
I took time this a.m. to skim your blog, and o-ma-gosh, your TOFW comments made me cry. Randi had told me a little about the young lady that escaped Africa and so I know all the other ones were so good. Glad you got to be there. Good to see photos of your friends who went--I have a temp. reference of Janice so I can show your dad "the gigga-the betta" gal.
Really good comments on all the sections of your blog. Thanks for letting me share them.
Mom
Post a Comment
You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...