Sunday, July 25, 2010

Best of Times...Worst of Times

While I was in California with Dalynda, I got a call from my sister, Lori, who told me Dad was in the hospital. It took my breath away...

Dad and my family were all attending the funeral of my cousin, Jean Steiner Jones in American Fork, Utah, when Dad had to be rushed to the hospital. He had blood clots in both lungs, and could barely breathe. They thought he might have a stroke or heart attack. He was hospitalized for almost a full week, put on blood thinners, and pain pills, and gratefully -- GRATEFULLY -- was released feeling much better. He underwent chemotherapy last fall for small lymphocytic lymphoma, and was told blood clotting is not uncommon afterwards. My question was, why didn't they automatically put him on blood thinners? But I guess they don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Instead of returning to Nashville after my convention in California, I flew to Salt Lake City to be with Dad and Mom while he was in the hospital. I couldn't do anything, but I needed to be there. I arrived on Wednesday, and Dad was released on Friday afternoon.

Dad was standing on his toes...  :o)
One of the fringe benefits of the hospital visit was being able to see other family members! I was able to hang out with Dan & Sherri, where Mom & Dad were staying. That was fun!

Shopped a little...
Dan got us these glasses at the Provo Freedom Festival --
We grilled and chilled on the "4th of July"


Corinne & Jasmine came down for the July 4th BBQ
Lori and her family came, too, but for some reason I didn't get any photos of her and her sweet Cody, Becca and Ammon (and Darin, of course). WhatsUpWiddat?


Sherri was getting ready for Girls Camp, and each of the girls had made a paper doll of themselves. Well, Mom & I were helping make Sherri's paper doll. Adam had made her one, but it was determined it looked a little bit too "scary..."

"Scary Sherri..."
So we made a Nice Sherri doll...

"Nice Sherri" -- And Ashley
It was great to spend time with family. I left for home on Monday, July 5th, and Dad had another appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, July 6th. He was cleared to return home to Idaho that afternoon. Since that time, he has been taking it easy, taking his medications, and seems to be doing well.

In fact, he and Mom are hopefully coming to see us in Tennessee in about 9 days!

More photos in the next post from the trip to Utah. Had a great time with Steve's family, too...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...