Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Brother Fred

I attended the funeral today of a dear family friend, Fred Harris, who we've known since we moved to Tennessee 22 years ago. This man was so loved! He filled the chapel with family, friends, church associates, friends from other faiths and those who worked with him in the temple. He lived an "ordinary" life that, as it turns out, was extraordinary.

He and his wife, Georgia, were in the old Franklin ward when we moved here, and our Harris names were next to each other in the ward directory. That's how I remember my first contact with him, his low, distinctive voice calling me to relay a message that had been left for them by mistake. It turned out that we got each other's messages a time or two during those first few months.

I knew he worked for RC bottling company for many years, I knew he retired from that and became a school custodian. And I knew he had a special place in his heart for kids, and like to spend time with them and help mentor them, and help them stay on track to graduate from school, stay out of trouble, play basketball, whatever. He had appeared in the local paper a time or two to honor his efforts.

Today I learned that through most of his busy adult life, with jobs, kids, church activity, etc. he still found time to be a "Big Brother" to inner city kids for years and years. Someone mentioned in one of the talks that in years to come, there will most likely be many adult men who will say, "I am better because Fred Harris took time to love me and care for me when I was a boy."

I know that he and his sweet wife have taken my daughter under their wing many times in her tumultuous life, and given her love, support and friendship. I can still see Randi as a
6-7 year old girl hugging Georgia around the waist as we greeted them at church. And I saw Randi hug her today.

Fred was just Fred. No matter when or where you saw him, always a smile on his face, a kind word, a wave. He treated everyone equally; there was not one person, ever, who didn't get his best.

In so many ways Fred has been an example to me. I am better for knowing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're invited to comment on the "Harris House" blog...